Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Two Weeks

Like I say to my kindergartners everyday, 
Hello Friends!

     In exactly two weeks I will depart from Detroit, MI to Port Elizabeth, South Africa! 


For those who do not know much about my trip I will explain it a bit. As I am entering my second and final year in the College of Education at GVSU (Psychology-Special Education major seeking dual-endorsements in Cognitive and Emotional Impairments with a minor in Elementary Education) part of my Fall 2010 general education student teaching could be done in another country through a program called COST (Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching). After I applied and was accepted my placement was chosen out of top three picks.  South Africa was my number one choice! I thought that it would be such a great place to go that not many can say they have traveled to.  I will be living with a host family and a few other students in the COST program from around the United States and two girls from GVSU! I am looking forward to building some new friendships! 



For the past five weeks I have been in an accelerated general education full-time student teaching program. I am teaching kindergarten in a local GRPS elementary school and next week will be my last week as I wrap up my unit plan! I will finish up the rest of my student teaching at an all-girl elementary school in South Africa.  I will not know what grade I will be teaching until my first day of school on October 25. How exciting, I hope it is upper elementary so I can have two completely different experiences this semester in a general education setting.  However, if it is lower elementary it will be very interesting to see how their curriculum compares to the kindergarten classroom I am in now.  Either way, it's going to be great! I will post a link to the school so you can check it out:
I will be teaching there until December 3 (My brother's Birthday!) and then venturing to West Palm Beach, FL to spend Christmas with my family on December 17-January ??? Which means I will have about two weeks to venture SA, school/assignment free!

I cannot believe how quickly this trip came up on me! I am nervous and excited at the same time and cannot wait to share my experiences with you all! 

I am having some anxiety about packing; what to bring to teach in, adventure in, and of course as many of you may know about me what Vera Bradley bags to bring...Decisions, decisions.  

I do feel comforted by the fact that my friend, April (Ms. Peterson) will be flying with me all the way there along with another student in the program.  They will be in Grahamstown, South Africa.  I think it is about an hour away from where I will be.  I plan on meeting up with April during my time in SA and staying after our placement concludes to go on some adventures of our own! (ie. bungee jumping off the world's tallest bridge, safaris) 

If you can please keep my Blog friendly and "G" Rated, as my former students (YAY for Cummings Elementary and Mrs. Bassett!) and others will be following! Thank you :)

I am looking forward to keeping you posted on my travels and to read your comments!

<3 Ms. G



No comments:

Post a Comment